Thursday, September 8, 2016

Story: Jesus Christ - Pro Skater

The most righteous of skaters did come one day to the skate park next to the school and he did have the most wicked kickflips of all time and all were amazed and came to see.

And lo, he said to those skaters who idled there, “You, John and Simon and Peter, follow me and I will teach you how to bust some sick air over on the rail.”

And verily twelve of them did congregate because he was indeed busting some sick air over on the rail and they declared him Master of the Skate Park and promised that they would follow him. Now Jesus and his bros did skate often at the park and straightway many came to them so much that the park grew overfull. They came unto him with their less than gnarly tailspins and their total wipeouts, and they did plead that he should teach them to bang out some perfect ollies. And he did for he had love for even the poser and the newbie.

And the Pharisees, who pleased themselves to skate there after school, saw him do these things and they grew angry. And they asked him why he should invite all the multitudes to the park when a good many of them should not even know how to stay on the board and Jesus said unto them,

“Should the child crawl fresh from the cradle and forthwith know how to fliptrick? Did your brothers refuse to teach you even when you fell and wept? I do not call the many to arrive here at the skatepark but as they arrive I shall teach them for the half-pipe is not only for the few who know how to ride it now, but also those who may learn it in time.”

And with this he shamed them and they were bitter in their departure for the park was still too full to skate in.

A child came unto Jesus weeping and lo Jesus asked him wherefore he shed tears and the child told him that although he wanted very much to skate with him, the wheels had long ago come off his board and thus he could watch the others learn to spinflip but could not do it himself. There Jesus bade he bring forth the board and at once Jesus took it and before his eyes he did reattach the wheels to the board though he had no tools with which to do it. And the boy was amazed and he did spread the good news to all who would listen and Jesus fixed many a skateboard although none could tell how he did it.

Another day as the multitudes did congregate at the skatepark to hear Jesus they grew hungry, but among them they could come up with no more than $15.26 which should not feed a skatepark full of people. Without delay, Jesus did take this money and walked to the convenience store and shortly reappeared laden with honeybuns and Cokes for all. Surely Peter and John were amazed for $15 should not have fed the scores of people in attendance. And they asked him how he came upon such a bounty and for they worried he had stolen it.

And Jesus grew weary of their lack of faith and said unto them, “Dudes, my coupon game is sick.”

And they did believe him and were humbled and all ate and had a good time. And after they had eaten their fill, more food yet sat in the grass before them, so bounteous was this feast. The skaters of the park were amazed and spread the word of the Board further still.

The Pharisees saw all of these things and they grew jealous for the people loved Jesus and forever occupied the park. And they vandalized the park and spray-painted over the blacktop. At night's end and their deed done, they left very much satisfied that the people should stop coming to the park.

Now in the morning all the usual people did come and they saw the travesty and they were angry for the blessed skate park had been desecrated by vandals. Judas did know who had abused the park for he had been witness to it at night and he approached them, and the Pharisees promised to buy him dinner if he should tell the police that Jesus had done it. And wickedness grew in Judas’s heart and also hunger in his stomach and he agreed.

Judas did fetch the cops and led them to the skatepark and there he said whosoever does pull off a righteous bigspin is the one who is responsible and Jesus did bigspin at that moment and forthwith they arrested him.

And Jesus spake, “You Judas, whom I did teach to 360 spin off the jump even though you kept falling off the board? You have told the cops to take me!”

And the cops did take him away and his bros scattered for they didn’t want the cops to think they were accomplices and after much trial Jesus was straightway banned from the skatepark. And his bros felt super bad about it.

On the third day of his ban, much to the surprise of his bros, Jesus did reappear and they rejoiced and asked him if he should stay. He said unto them that he must not, for the cops would probably kick him out again but that he wanted to lay down a few more sick moves before he departed.

And he did skate most admirably and his disciples watched him bomb a hill and before he left he told them to spread the word that one day he would return to teach the newbies once more how to skate. And he did tell his bros to keep catching some gnarly air and to instruct all who were willing to learn how to grind a rail. And then his mom pulled up in her car and once again he departed.


(image of Jesus skateboarding, Major Crew)

Author's note:  I kinda wish I could have made this longer. It was pretty fun to write. Now I'm not a skater so I probably didn't use all the slang entirely correctly but this is just meant to be humorous and not necessarily accurate. I went a little beyond the gospel of Mark because that gospel doesn't actually include the resurrection but I think it's a pretty commonly known element of the story. I was only able to include a few miracles from the book of Mark due to the lack of space. The ones I did reference, I think were some of the best known ones. Jesus fixes the kid's skateboard just as he healed the paralyzed man and let him walk again. He also made way more food out of the very little bit of money than should have been possible like the story of him feeding the multitudes with fish and bread. Of course I could have written for a full day to include more miracles. I would have liked to include walking on water but I struggled a bit to come up with a good parallel for it. As it was, I hope it was still fun to read. The whole story was supposed to be humorous enough that it throws the old story of the Christian savior into a new light so that it’s fun to read for both people who have read it a thousand times, and people who have never read the gospel before. For reference for the skateboard tricks, here are some videos.


15 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite retelling I’ve read so far! It is so hilarious and fun to read. I love that you mixed the slang with the old bible-like use of language. You did a really good job mixing the old with the new and making it a great story to read! My only skater knowledge is from the Backyard Skate Park computer game but from my also limited knowledge it sounds great!
    P.S.
    The picture complements the story so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said in your author’s note that you weren’t sure about how to use skater lingo, but as a fellow non-skateboarder I thought it was well done. I also thought that it was clever to have Jesus’ death be represented by being falsely accused of vandalism and arrested by the cops, and the way in which you incorporated in Judas’ betrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is probably the funniest story I've read yet. There were moments when I literally laughed out loud in the middle of the library. VERY well done. I mean wow. I know it would take it a little far from the original story, but I wonder if the Pharisees and Jesus' gang of disciples could be like rival skate gangs and they have a competition at said skate park. The Pharisees would lose terribly, due to their lack of righteous kickflips, and that could inspire them to vandalize the park and blame it on the other team. Just what popped into my head while reading. Again, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danica, first off I really enjoyed the story, as it was very entertaining. I really liked how you were able to combine old biblical times and setting but also mix the lingo of skaters. Also your image that you included with the story is perfect and fits great. One potential possibility for revising would be to vary your sentence length more throughout the story. Some of the sentences are fairly long, however that is something I always do as well. In addition, I liked how you gave a great comparison to the source story with the false accusation of vandalism and that ultimate consequence. Also I think you could possibly put your image citation below your authors note that way it seems to blend with the story more. I guess you could even possibly put the image in the middle or beginning of the story so the reader has something to immediately envision. I think it is great how you have it set up already though, just suggestions. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danica, I really enjoyed reading your story. I can tell you had fun writing and I know I had fun reading it. The image fits your story perfectly and is a great depiction of the story that you have written. Some feedback that I would like to give would be first, some of your sentence structure is a little off. I think going back through your story slowly and reading it out loud will help you understand the specific instances I am talking about. The flow tends to be a little off in some areas, which is still fine to read, but it would make your story much better. You also have a few sentences that are run-ons and have a comma where you could easily put a period and split the ideas. I really enjoyed your skate boarder lingo, but I also noticed you repeated a lot of phrases. I think it would really add to the story if you could add some different styles to the stories. Overall, I think just reading this slowly will help you solve a lot of the awkward flow moments, but this was a great story and was definitely fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danica,

    First off let me say that I love the image you chose for your portfolio so, so much. It's hilarious, and fits perfectly with your story "Jesus Christ Pro Skater." I am cracking up. I think it would look better to add a colon to your title though, like "Jesus Christ: Pro Skater" or maybe even a comma? Love the title though.

    One suggestion I have for your story is perhaps it needs more punctuation. Some sentences seems to run on a bit too long, or could use a comma or semicolon to help with readability. For example, I would revise this sentence in the following way "A child came unto Jesus weeping, and lo Jesus asked him wherefore he shed tears. The child told Jesus that although he wanted very much to skate with him, the wheels had long ago come off his board, and thus he could watch the others learn to spinflip but could not do it himself." You may have written it specifically like that to fit your source, so if that's the case, nevermind. :) The content of this story and the way you've written it is excellent.

    My favorite part is when Judas fetches the cops, who ban Jesus from the skate park for 3 days - genius!
    I love this story; your portfolio is already one of my favorites! I can't wait to read more, seriously!!! I really hope you're keeping a similar theme throughout the semester. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Jesus and his cohorts as radical sk8r bros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title actually doesn't have a semicolon (cause i kinda agree it might work there) because I actually was playing of of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (the video game). I guess to be more exact this would be called Jesus Christ's Pro Skater but the possessive didn't really make much sense there either.

      Delete
  7. Danica,
    Oh my goodness this is the first story I have read that actually made me laugh out loud; your writing style is both humorous and informative. There were a few parts where the words ran together a little, but other than that I have no complaints.
    The fact you put Biblical phrases into your writing ("he said unto them") made this entire story even better. I can tell you spent a lot of time on it and your hard work really did pay off!
    My favorite part of the story is when Jesus made it so the kid in the wheelchair could skate and the kid went and told all of the people about the miracle that had happened. I was literally laughing out loud.
    This was a great story and I hope you choose to enter it in some short story contests in the future, I really think you could win! I can't wait to read your entire portfolio when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, my gosh, this is probably one of the greatest things I’ve ever read in my life. The way you blended the biblical language with the skater speak seemed effortless and reads beautifully, and it made me laugh out loud a ton, which is the highest compliment I can give anything. Like others mentioned, some of the sentences did veer a bit into run-on territory, which you may take a look at—but for me, it didn’t really interfere with the reading experience, and I think most of the time it helped contribute to the narrative voice and really nailing that biblical feel to the rhythm.

    Honestly, I wish I had more constructive criticism to help you out, but I’ve got nothing. You might take another look at breaking down some of the dialogue sentences, adding commas in certain areas so they can really breathe—but other than that, I think it’s already in great shape. The premise and especially the execution of this are both spot-on, and I think you’ve got a shtick here that you could do something special with. Thanks for a sick read, and I genuinely look forward to reading more of your stuff in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danica, this was such a fun story to read! I definitely wouldn't have thought of mixing the skater stuff with the biblical stuff but you made it work so well! This was hilarious and you absolutely nailed the lingo—both skater and biblical. It absolutely cracked me up! I think this was an awesome first addition to your portfolio and I am so excited to read more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story was very well done. The first thing that struck me was the title! After reading that, I'm sure anyone can already tell that we're in for a wild ride. I think you did a really great job of writing a way that sounds somewhat biblical. It might be a little hard for readers to adjust, but it definitely gives the impression that this text is from a long time ago.

    You did a nice job building up Jesus as an incredible skater and miracle worker! You modernized the content well by converting the basket of food into a specific dollar amount that clearly couldn't feed enough people.

    I wonder, though, how this story could be changed to incorporate one of the most important figures in Jesus' world - his mother Mary. It might be difficult because the stories you included were mostly just the miracles he performed, but the story of his crucifixion affects Mary deeply in the Bible. I know it probably isn't easy, but I would consider a great addition if you could pull it off in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I first saw the title of your story, I was truly intrigued. I myself don’t know anything about skateboarding or the slang that goes with it. I however think you did a great job trying to change this up and use the slang. I really enjoyed the way that you spun this story. I like how you took a well-known story and changed it to something that this generation would enjoy. I like the change that Jesus was charged with vandalism. I also appreciate the picture that you chose to go with your story. I think you did a great job on this story! It has been one of the best stories that I have read this semester! You did a great job on the retelling of this story. I really loved your story and it made me laugh! I wonder if you would change the cops to like a competitive skate group. Then Judas could tell the other team what Jesus’s skate routine included? I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm obsessed with this story, I think it is by far one of the most creative stories I've read so far for this class. Incredibly job. I bet this was enjoyable to write because it was definitely enjoyable to read. I liked that you went deeper into the gospels picked miracles and stories from the bible that would best parallel your skate park theme. I think my favorite was the gas station part where he provides all the skaters with Honey buns and such!!

    I liked that this story was a contrast in tone to the other one on your portfolio! It shows that you are able to write in a variety of ways! Incredible job. Looking forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of the greatest retellings of the Bible that I have read! You modernized the story very well, while still keeping with the overall theme. While reading, I did notice a few sentences that seemed to run on. Also I noticed that a lot of your verbs read like “did reappear” or “did teach.” Those verbs make sense if you are trying to sound biblical, but if that was not the intent then I would recommend making them more active tense. Those are the only few things that I would recommend to fix. Other than that I really enjoyed the story, and the background you chose is really cool.

    ReplyDelete