Sunday, November 13, 2016

Review: Vine Deloria

Today, November 13th, is the anniversary of the death of Vine Deloria Jr. I wouldn't have known that without having read the articles. I don't know a lot about the philosopher except that he was the first, widely read and popularly acknowledged Native philosopher. In the class I took last semester (Native American Philosophy, which I encourage everyone to take), we read his book God is Red.

It was a really poignant book although I would caution any Christian who considers reading it to go into it with an understanding of the devastation that has been wrought on North and South America in the name of Christianity. It doesn't go light on those topics but it brings up some very good and very important critiques not only of Christianity but of all proselytizing religions. The book, and the class as a whole, had a real impact on me. Native issues was never something that was in the forefront of my mind before but I've really tried to be careful and considerate of it since then.

I'm glad to be able to acknowledge the death of such a great thinker and revolutionary activist.

(Vine Deloria Jr., 2002 Photograph by Cyrus McCrimmon
Associated Press)

No comments:

Post a Comment